22 November 2011

"Walk" signs

I don't suppose it's of any real consequence, but sometimes objects that we take as just being "ordinary" become, for some reason, notable.  For example, Berliners take pride in their "Walk/Don't Walk" signs, in that the man with the hat dates from the East/West days, I understand.  He is said to be one of the few features of communist East Germany to have survived the end of the Iron Curtain with its popularity unscathed.    I don't have a photo of the real thing, but here's something in lieu.
I was reminded of this when I drove past some traffic lights in Orrong Rd. where there remains on just one corner one of the original "Walk/Don't Walk" signs that we had in Melbourne.  It's a bit battered, and probably won't last for long, but I wonder whether it's eventual destination will be the scrap heap or a museum!

No comments:

Post a Comment